Sunday, April 7, 2013

Pale Fire

I finished Pale Fire this week, one of Vladimir Nabokov's English novels. After spending so much time with Lolita while writing my thesis, I really wanted to read more of Nabokov's work- but I'll admit that the prospect was both exciting and a little scary. What if everything else is boring in comparison, or even worse, what if everything is so much better?

It was fine, of course. Better than fine. It was like sitting down with an old friend you haven't seen in a while. Maybe they aren't quite the same, but it's close. Still fun to be around for all the same reasons you liked them before. I don't really want to talk too much about the novel, because I think you should read it for yourself. Just be cautious. Nabokov's a tricky fellow.

A few months ago, I read another Nabokov, Pnin. My understanding is that Nabokov wrote Pnin right after Lolita- and in many ways that makes sense. I can see some relaxing happening- it isn't a bad read- but isn't trying to do what Lolita does, what Nabokov is so good at. In fact, in many ways it makes sense to read Pnin after you've read Lolita- it allows the reader to decompress just as it could have Nabokov.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! It is a bit one-sided at the moment...